Sunday, March 30, 2014

How Much Camera Do I Need?



As I continue to rework older pictures from my Canon G9, I find myself wondering how much camera I really need.  I am very pleased for the most part with the quality I am finding in these files from 2008, although some just aren't up to snuff.  The image quality from my more recent Ricoh GRD III (which came out in '09 I think), seem better.  If only that little camera had a zoom lens.  The more I look at these pictures, the more I think that a small sensor camera might be enough for me.  Maybe a Panasonic Lumix LX7 would be ideal - smaller than Canon's G series and with a Leica zoom lens that starts at a relatively wide 24mm equivalent.  A couple of years old now, and cheap.  We'll see.  Here's some more from the G9, circa 2008.

Rain Begins

Dawn

What Lies Beneath

Ornaments

The Curve

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, great shots you have here. I'm particularly partial to "What Lies Beneath," but I'll bet that doesn't surprise you at all.

    I have, and still shoot with the LX-5 on occasion, particularly where lightness is important to me. My daughter has an LX-7. We're both very happy with these cameras. I don't quite understand why, but the LX-5 still sells for significantly more new than does an LX-7. As far as I can tell, IQ is the same; the LX-5 might be slightly smaller in the hand. My recent Flickr post with the bicycle is from the LX-5. I've been forcing myself lately to use my EM5; I like the IQ, hate the menu system. Still use my Oly 600 occasionally, a comparatively heavy beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. I can hardly wait for spring to really arrive and some green to appear here so I can go out and take some new pictures. I'll probably give the Canon EOS M some use since I really haven't done much with it since I bought it last fall. I really miss having physical controls on it, and hate its menu system, although image quality is better than anything I've ever used before. So I will probably try to master it a little better before deciding for sure whether to keep it or not. I miss my Oly 620. The sensor wasn't great but it was a well thought-out camera. Right now I only have the M and the little Ricoh GRD III which really does fit in a jeans pocket. Well, I have a Fujifilm X10 too, but it it on loan to my son. I admire people who have one camera and stick with it. Just don't know if I'll ever be one of 'em.

      Delete